Support to Local Authorities in Botswana and Swaziland included:
• Costing manual for services provided by local authorities throughout Botswana, including recommendations on a national policy regarding the setting of user charges and key management issues for successful implementation of the manual
• Offered practical hands-on training for 800 local government staff country-wide on the implementation of the manual.
• ICT Strategy for the local authorities in Botswana (in association with Ernst & Young)
• Information needs assessment at Mbabane City Council, Swaziland and development of a Management Information System (in association with Ernst & Young)
Involved in the development of strategic plans (corporate and cascaded unit plans) for various Ministries, State Owned Enterprises and NGOs in Namibia, viz.:
Namibia Statistics Agency; Fisheries Observer Agency, Namibia Water and Sanitation Sectors; Ministries of Agriculture, Water & Forestry; Ministry of Environment & Tourism; Ministry of Mines & Energy; Electricity Control Board; NamPower; Road Fund Administration; Motor Vehicle Accident Fund; Walvis Bay Corridor Group; Rössing Foundation; Small Business Credit Guarantee Fund
2. PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT
• Assisted/coached officials to implement their strategies by means of regular performance measurement, evaluation, reporting, meetings & communication.
• Developed a performance management policy and procedures for the Namibia Statistics Agency
• Developed a performance management policyand procedures for Ongwediva Town Council.
• Performance Management System (PMS):One of 6 lead consultants appointed by the Office of the Prime Minister (OPM) for the planning and implementation of the PMS. Designed 5 of the 16 PMS Toolkits (Modules/Manuals) – PMS Overview, Strategic Planning, Performance Verification, the Top Management Meeting & Project Management.
• PMS & Leadership Training: Trained approximately 200 trainers in the PMS Toolkit, incl. strategic planning, leadership, teamwork & project management. Developed leaders in central government, regional councils and local authorities through PMS training.
3. PROJECT MANAGEMENT
• Project managementtraining: Presented more than 20 Project Management Courses (4 to 5 day courses) in Namibia since 2006, based on own developed manual according to PMI's 9 PMBOK knowledge areas and 5 processes. Practical course with focus on project planning, including a test and certificates;
• Project and business planning, incl. property development.
• Project manager on various projects, incl.:
o Namibian Cross Border Charges project – maximising control and income from all road cross-border movements, managing 8 border posts, 6 staff members & 6 contractors.
o Water & Sanitation: Successfully managed various rural village water supply and sewerage projects. Sepopa- Ikoga Rural Village water supply; Kauxwi-Xakau Rural Village water supply; Sehitwa rural village water supply, Masunga sub-surface weir water project; sanitation included in these projects.
o Roads: Successfully project managed various roads and bridge projects in Botswana.
o Voters role: Coordinated the compilation of a voters role for approximately 250 000 eligible voters and managed the establishment of 160 polling stations in advance of the Local Government elections, managing 200 field staff (in preparation of the historical first democratic elections in South Africa in 1994).
o Urban upgrading & municipal/infrastructure management: Responsible for coordinating the implementation of the RSA/KwaZulu Development Project for the provision of municipal/infrastructure services (water, sanitation, roads, storm water, electricity), community facilities and housing for 150,000 residents in Ntuzuma, north of Durban, South Africa. Facilitated regular community meetings represented by different political & community groupings, defining development needs, levels of services, budgets, priorities and responsibilities & negotiating optimal and acceptable solutions. Managed many engineering, town planning, surveying, QS, legal and architectural consultants & contractors in terms of project scope, time, cost and quality. Developed & empowered local black leaders to take over technical and town management functions.
4. POLICIES & PROCEDURES
Document various policies and procedures, incl. project management, performance management, communication management, risk management and the generation of various national statistics for the Namibia Statistics Agency (World Bank funded); making use of software such as Microsoft Visio and Microsoft Project to map processes.
Water, Sanitation & Environmental Projects:
• ACP Water Facility: IWRM in Cuvelai-Etosha Basin – Mid Term Review: Evaluate the sustainable utilisation of water and other natural resources through the implementation of integrated water resource management in the Cuvelai-Etosha Basin in northern Namibia. Included document review, stakeholder consultations, a stakeholder workshop and field visits to determine strengths, weaknesses and lessons learnt on the project with specific improvement measures.
• Evaluation of water & sanitation projects: Review/Evaluate 15 projects; facilitate a stakeholder workshop and report on findings and recommendations for improvements.
• Water and Sanitation Master Plan for Katima Mulilo Town Council: Local engineer for the EU funded project between January and April 2010. In association with Agartha sprl (Belgium) and Ecopsis SA (Switzerland). Including stakeholder consultations, assessment of current water and sewer reticulation system, determining of future requirements, tariff structure, affordability, institutional capacity and future infrastructure developments.
• Mid Term Review NAM/345: Kavango/Caprivi Regional Rural Water Decentralisation: Local engineer and institutional expert for the review the Lux Development Project during January to February 2010, in association with Hydro-R&D International (Belgium). Including stakeholder consultations, site visits, document review, assessment of project progress and recommendations for improvements in decentralisation, institutional and physical development.
• Combined Regional Rural Water Supply Development Plan for the Oshikoto, Ohangwena, Oshana & Omusati Regions: Project includes assessment of water sources, bulk infrastructure, borehole and pipeline infrastructure, community consultations, institutional capacities as well as future water demands, required infrastructure, project and programme option development, evaluation and selection, considering environmental and socio-economic aspects.
• Water & Sanitation: Member of the planning & design team to upgrade the bulk water supply system, water purification works & sewerage treatment works for Barberton Municipality, South Africa.
• Projects included flood studies, earth & rock-fill dam design, catchment area studies of rivers running through the Kruger National Park, EIA of river management / water uses along the Orange River, operation of water transfer schemes and dam releases; Tugela-Vaal socio economic studies, operation of dams in Crocodile River catchment area.
• Housing Review: Reviewed the Decentralised Build Together Programme (BTP) in 2008 for provision of housing to low income communities & facilitated national and regional workshops for local/regional governments in 2006 and 2007.
• Housing & urban infrastructure:
Conducted planning for the provision of appropriate infrastructure & low cost housing in many parts of South Africa, incl. feasibility studies, determining the levels and costs of engineering services (water, sanitation, roads, storm water, electricity), scheduling of activities & cash flows for determining site prices, business planning & financing. Coordinated various disciplines – marketing, socio-economic surveys, technical & financial services for the writing of business plans. Appointed & managed engineering consultants in all disciplines. Evaluated various forms of new/innovative concepts, technology & systems. Developed policies in project management, erf pricing, community participation & local authority liaison.
• Construction supervision of diverse infrastructure and building related projects in South Africa.
• Decentralisation Review: Participated in the Mid Term Review of the Finnish Support to the Namibian Decentralisation Programme
Roads and Traffic Projects:
• Traffic studies: Team member for the development of a traffic law enforcement policy & system for the Botswana Police, including a fact finding mission to Australia during October 2000; team member of various traffic studies.
• BPR: Designed improved business processes (due to automation) for the Motor Vehicle Accident Fund.
• Roads: Successfully project managed various roads and bridge projects in Botswana.